You Should Play These (2016-06-07)
The best games of all time that you may or may not have played.
Glorious PC Master Race
Celebrating 35 years of spreadsheets, compatibility, and
delicious sandwiches! Hail Carmack and Praise
Acquiring all games below requires Amazon,
Steam accounts. You may need to install
DOSbox and a Windows XP
Virtual Machine to get some of them working
or displaying properly. These games are either entirely DRM-free* or only
require Steam; disc checks have been patched out.
* Blizzard's games require a valid and unique serial key for online
($15 for Deluxe)
- One of the best, deepest, and longest developed roguelikes you'll ever
get to witness.
- Adventures of ANSi
- An action puzzler depicting the exploits of a space-exploring
thrill-seeker in 80x25.
An ANSI game engine, with its own coding language, which people are still
making new content for!
- $05 Commander Keen Pack
Five great episodes of shooting and pogo-jumping around to save the Earth.
- $06 Blood
A forgotten classic which pays homage to horror B-movies. Expansion pack
- $10 Quest for Glory
- The complete Sierra fantasy adventure RPG series.
- A sci-fi masterpiece that no words could do
$40 3D Realms
- 32 of the greatest Apogee Software.. oh,
it's gone? All right, I'll go fuck myself, then.
- $20 Doom Trilogy
Doom, Doom II, and Doom 3. What more could you possibly need? Go saw some
demons in half!
- $38 Most
If - as I did - you grew up with the SNES, here's a cheap way to check out some
- $10 Serious Sam Classics
- A remake of the original two-part time-travel bloodbath.
- $20 Command & Conquer TFD
Five industry-shattering, story rich real-time strategies, with all expansions
- $15 HL1 Anthology
Three fast-paced FPSes set in a secret research base where an experiment goes
- $20 StarCraft
- A timeless space opera with three playable races fighting for galactic
- $25 Portal 1 and 2
Two great physics-based puzzlers with hilarious writing and hidden depths.
- $30 Saints Row IV
- A completely ridiculous sandbox game set in a simulated city occupied by
- $15 Starbound
Explore the procedurally generated galaxy.
- $20 Warcraft III
- The continued sagas and battles of Azeroth's warring factions.
- Bonesaw: The
- A six-world hockey-based platformer with many pucks to
find and enemies to destroy.
- Cave Story
($10 for Plus)
A run-and-gun with amnesiac robots who are a floating island's last hope.
An incredible tale of one woman's stand against invading alien armies.
- You Have to Win the Game
- Explore a CGA world; dodge traps, claim riches, and win.
Consoles and Handhelds
Depending on which generation 7 and 8 consoles you have (if any), acquisition
of used copies, remakes, compilation rereleases, or digital downloads may be
necessary. I leave the search up to you. Good hunting.
- Paper Mario
- Metal Arms: Glitch in the System
- Kirby's Dream Collection
- Metroid II: Return of Samus
- Sigma Star Saga
- Mega Man Zero Collection
- Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap
- Legend of Oasis
- Sonic Adventure 2
- Spyro: Year of the Dragon
- Namco Museum 50th Anniversary
- Dragon's Crown
- Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles
- Kameo: Elements of Power